Sgt John H. Bowers - Co. H

warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/thga/public_html/drupal/modules/counter.module on line 103.

The Elberton Star, April 13, 1889; Elberton, GA

History of Co. H. 38th Ga. Reg.,
Gordon's Brigade.
- - - -
- - - -
Third Sargeant John H. Bowers was a good soldier, always doing his duty. John was in every battle that the company engaged in from the time he enlisted until he was wounded. The first wound he received was on charging the enemy's line the 13th day of December, 1862, at Fredricksburg, Va., near Hamilton's Crossing, where he received a very painful wound in the right leg below the knee, fracturing the shin bone. After he was able to come back to the command, he again resumed his duties and was with the boys all the time
until he was again wounded on the 6th day of May, 1863, in the great Wilderness fight, with a spent ball on top of his head. In a few days he was again with the command, and was wounded the third time the 12th day of May, 1863, in charging the enemy at Horse Shoe Bend, at Spottsylvania C. H., Va. This wound he received in the forehead, the same ball wounding A. Y. Gully through the neck and passing through F. M. Hendrick's whiskers.

In a few weeks he was again with the boys as usual. In the next summers campaign, while in Maryland, he was wounded the fourth time near the city of Washington the 9th day of July, '64. After he recovered he again came back to the company and still stuck to the boys. He was with us in the hard march and suffered all the trials and privation we had to undergo while going to Petersburg, Va., in the winter of '64, where we remained in camp at Hatcher's Run until the 13th day of March, '65. Then we were put in close contact with the enemy's breastworks and remained there until the first of April, when we evacuated Petersburg, and retreating to Appomattox C. H., where we surrendered. John was with the little handful of our company that was there on that sad and memorable day that will never be forgotten by the few who were there. John is still living. He resided near Bowman, and was considered one of Elbert's best citizens for several years. He removed from there to Hart county, near West Bowersville, where he is engaged in farming and is doing well.

Theme port sponsored by Duplika Web Hosting.
Home Back To Top