1st Lt. George H. Lester

warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/thga/public_html/drupal/modules/counter.module on line 103.

George H. Lester - 1st Lt. 9/29/1861. Resigned July 15, 1862. Elected as quartermaster when the company was first formed in May 1861.

Oglethorpe Echo Newspaper, 11/10/1893

Tuesday, November 7th, 1893 marks a memorable historic day in the annals of Oglethorpe Co. At about half past one o’clock in the afternoon of that day, in front of the safe in his office at the courthouse, in the discharge of his official duties as he placed away some papers in their proper position, Mr. George L. Lester suddenly fell on his back upon the floor, expired. Born in the place now owned by Mr. James Busbin, near Beavertown Church in this county.

Mr. Lester was nearly seventy nine years of age when he died. He commenced business in Lexington by clerking for Captain Andrews and other merchants in Lexington until 1841, when the people having learned his sterling worth and admirable capabilities for the place, elected him to the Clerkship of the Superior Court of Oglethorpe County. With the exception of two years and a part of the time he was in the army, he has filled the clerkship of the Superior Court from his first election in 1841 until his death. On the 9th of January, 1844 he was married to Miss Martha E. Cresham, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas S. Gresham of Lexington. During his long official career he was also clerk of what was known as the old inferior Court until this court was abolished in 1866. Then he was clerk of the County Court from 1866 to 1868. During that this time he was secretary and treasurer of the Board of Trustees of Mission Academy for more than twenty years. From the organization of the Baptist Church in Lexington in 1847 until his death he was clerk of that church.

In war, in faithful defense of his own South, he made a brace and faithful soldier until physical disability compelled him to retire from active service. On Wednesday afternoon at 3 o’clock the 8th of November, 1893, in the Baptist Church in Lexington after some appropriate remarks by Reverend M. S. Weaver, his funeral service was preached by Rev. John G. Gibson. The service concluded, the body was borne to the Baptist Cemetery and there laid to rest beside his wife, who died many years ago. His surviving family have the sympathy of all who knew him.

Theme port sponsored by Duplika Web Hosting.
Home Back To Top